Do you need a Visa?

Most international visitors will need to get a visa to travel to the US. To get the latest and official information on US visas and to see if you need a visa please visit, the US government visa issuing agency.

You may also find valuable information in the official guide to getting a US visa.

While the visa process typically varies from country to country (and sometimes region to region), it is best to start the process as early as possible to be able to satisfy all of the requirements and paperwork.

The visa process usually starts by visiting your local US embassy. Start by visiting the online list of US embassies.

ACM Visa support letter

The Association for Computing Machinery does not issue formal invitation letters for visas. The ACM can, however, issue a visa support letter. For visa support letters, please send all requests to Laura Bucci (Bucci at with the following information.

  • name and mailing address as it appears on your passport
  • the name of the conference you wish to attend
  • registration confirmation number
  • if you are the author of any papers accepted for the conference, please provide the title
  • fax number

Visa support letters are not issued via email.

Traveling from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and Caribbean region

Canadian citizens do not need a visa, however, they must have a valid passport to enter the US. All other visitors please see the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative from the US government Web site.

Traveling from Europe

If you hold a passport from a European nation (*), you may not require a visa to visit the US. You need a valid passport, a return ticket, and sufficient funds to support yourself and your dependents during your stay in the US. European visitors to the US who wish to visit Canada on their trip must possess valid passports to be admitted.

(*) residents of Portugal are further required to have a visa

Traveling from Japan

Japanese visitors typically do not need a visa to visit the US but will need a valid passport. Please find and visit your local US embassy online for the latest information.

Traveling from rest of the world

You will likely need a US visa. Please find the closest US embassy to your region and follow the instructions to apply for a visa. If you need a support letter then please read the ACM Visa support letter section above.